Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My Wordle! My Blog!

Wordle: Group WORK



So, I just ran my blog URL through Wordle to get a word cloud (it doesn't look very nice pasted here, but if you click on it, you can see the real one).  I thought it would be interesting to see what emerges as my most used words....maybe see what it could tell me about my writing. Here's what I discovered.

It's a fairly new blog, so there aren't a lot of topics yet. As you can see, there has been a lot of focus on GROUP WORK!  hahaha   Hopefully, we'll be moving on to other things shortly!
But I like how WORK is the biggest word. It fits with what's going on in my life. Between my job, and my studies, there is a whole lotta WORK going on...and I think that's a good thing!
Other good things I see are: KNOW, THINK, LIKE, PEOPLE, TEACHERS.  These seem quite positive to me. I'm glad it's not overrun by words like hate, loathe, suspect, jerks.....or something like that.
Some things I don't like very much.... JUST, REALLY.  These aren't bad things....perhaps only bad habits. Maybe it's time to get some new vocabulary.

I have known about this fun little tool for a couple of years, though I've never used it with students. I think it can help you to analyze your writing, and perhaps see what others see when they read it. Maybe you can see something that you missed before. I'd like to find a way to use this with students, but I haven't figured out the details yet. Since my students don't type any of their work, I think this would be a big hassle that perhaps I don't need at the moment. Well.... I'll keep thinking about it.

In the meantime, I'm going to think about my own writing style and I'll try again in a few months to see if anything has changed!

2 comments:

  1. Fun! I think 'work' might be there to stay for a while, say three years? ;) I like your point about using it to analyse your own writing style. Good awareness-raising on 'really' and 'just'. I think it would be great to try this out with students for that purpose. Once I get more blogging up myself I'll try some self analysis too (I know 'great' is definitely one of mine!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. On www.txt2pic.com you can make more fun graphics with your text.

    ReplyDelete