Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tree Murder in a High-Tech World


So, here's Toronto as viewed from my 11th floor balcony. I'm a bit Northwest of downtown. Know what I see when I look across the city? TREES! Lots and lots of trees! Red ones, yellow ones...green, brown, purple...it's gorgeous! You wouldn't think so in a big city, but it is! So today I am quite sad to say that I am sitting here murdering trees. Otherwise known as 'printing'. A lot of printing! PILES of printing! Reams of paper!
"But why?" you might well ask. "Didn't you blog about all the tech devices that keep you going?"
hmmm... yes. Yes I did. 
I recently discovered (while cramming for final essay #1) that I read MUCH MUCH faster on paper than on uh....screen. 
And I annotate faster. 
And it's easier to go back and find things. 
And it's easier to find files.
And it's easier to see where I am, and how much more is yet to be done.
And it's easier to put a particular article down HERE, in THIS spot, and remember where it is when I need it. Imagine articles strewn across my apartment in seemingly random order.... But for this visual learner, it makes perfect sense! "Bax... he's over THERE!"
Reading offline (on paper) is still for me, the easiest, fastest, most efficient way to read. 
Especially for the massive quantity that must be done for a research paper. The poor Sony just can't keep up. And the Mendeley account is full! They want more money for more space! Ha! Why would I spend money when I have all this PAPER?!
So, back to the trees... I'm feeling guilty. It is a LOT of paper.
I think grad students should be required to pay for tree-planting.
I'll be making a donation as soon as I finish my killing spree!

No comments:

Post a Comment